World Down Syndrome Day takes place on Sunday March 21st. Our charity partner, Down Syndrome Ireland, is planning some exciting initiatives to mark the occasion.
The annual Purple Run will be virtual this year and we would love to get as many of you involved. You can run or walk your own Virtual Purple Run (5km or more) anytime during the 21 day lead-in to this year’s World Down Syndrome Day on March 21st, and raise money to help support children and adults with Down syndrome throughout Ireland.
How it works
Complete the following 3 simple steps:
- Sign up TODAY and receive a FREE Purple Run T-shirt. https://givp.nl/e/X3pOvTkB
- Create your own Virtual Purple Run Facebook Fundraising Page https://www.facebook.com/fundraiser/with_presence/create_dialog/?default_beneficiary_id=1979977432063346&default_beneficiary_type=charity&source=nonprofit_short_url
- Join the Virtual Purple Run 2021 Facebook group to share your progress and support others taking part. https://www.facebook.com/groups/415714409524238
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does the Virtual Purple Run work?
Participants are asked to run or walk a minimum of 5km anytime during the 21 day run up to this year’s World Down Syndrome Day on March 21st – wherever and whenever suits you best!
This is a personal challenge so you can do whatever distance you feel you can manage during the 21 days i.e. 5km, 21km, 50km or even 121km. You do this in your own time and link in with the Virtual Purple Run 2021 Facebook group.
2. Is there a sign up fee?
Registering for the Virtual Purple Run is FREE and you get a challenge T-Shirt to wear on your run or walk, but we do encourage you to raise as much money as you can to support our work with children and adults with Down syndrome – Sign up here!
3. Is there a fundraising target?
Set yourself a fundraising target and let your supporters know what you are aiming to raise. Your target should be a challenge but also achievable with help from family, friends and colleagues.
4. What is a Facebook Fundraiser page?
Facebook has an easy to use Fundraising page setup which will guide you through the process in just a few simple clicks – in no time at all you will be ready to start sharing your Virtual Purple Run fundraiser with all your Facebook friends and beyond.
You set your own fundraising target. There are no fees so all the money donated goes directly to Down Syndrome Ireland. Always remember to thank each and every one of your supporters!
5. How do I edit the end date of your Facebook Fundraiser?
Facebook Fundraising pages are automatically set to run for just 14 days, so you will need to manually change the end date to March 31st by following the quick steps below:
– Go to your fundraising page.
– Click “Edit” under the main image and headline.
– Scroll down to the box that says “Set the End Date”.
– Select DATE.
– Then click Save in the top right.
6. Can I raise money off Facebook?
If you prefer to raise money off Facebook you can set up an online fundraising page over at iDonate OR simply donate any funds you have raised here on our website by selecting ‘Virtual Purple Run’ from the drop-down menu.
7. Can someone else take part with me?
Yes, the more the merrier! Simply tag friends, family members or colleagues on one of our Virtual Purple Run social media posts or send them the link to the sign up form.
Taking part as a group is a great motivator – but please do ensure that you stay safe and follow social distancing guidelines.
If you have any additional questions about the Virtual Purple Run, please post a comment in the Facebook group or email email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you all participate virtually!