- In a small saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
- Take a heavy bottom skillet and melt half of the butter in it over medium heat. Cook the mushrooms in it for 8 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the garlic, salt, thyme, and pepper for one more minute. Take the mushroom out of the pan and set it aside.
- Over medium heat, add the remaining half butter to the same pan. Cook onion in it until translucent over low to medium heat.
- After the onion has finished cooking, add the rice and stir for about 3 to 4 mins.
- Add lemon juice, then bring to a boil while stirring continuously until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in 237 ml of the vegetable/chicken broth until most is absorbed. Repeat process of adding stock (237 ml at a time) while stirring continuously until most liquid has been absorbed. (This may take 20mins).
- Add parmesan cheese and cream and cook for five minutes more over low heat while stirring gently. Risotto must be creamy but firm to bite.
- Transfer the risotto to serving bowl and top it with the mushrooms. Sprinkle some fresh chopped parsley and freshly ground pepper.
Notes: Starch in rice is primarily found in the coating of the rice. Because the starch allows for a creamy consistency to develop, it is encouraged to not rinse the grains.